Monday, July 18, 2011

Kick Off to New Beginnings!

2/10/10

Bonnie & I were in charge of New Beginnings, so when I saw this idea on sugardoodle.net (who featured it from Angela's abushelandapeck.com) I knew it was perfect for us! You know we like things up beat, so this football themed NB was right up our alley. I contacted Angela about getting some of their graphics that they had made. She sent me their program & invitations and I just updated them for our own evening.

Here are some pictures from the evening (unfortunately, all of the group shots of the girls & leaders and a lot of the 'action' shots from the evening got deleted before I saved them to my computer....painful!!)

Before I get to the big night, I have some photos from an activity before where the girls helped put together invitations, handouts, lanyards, signs, & pennants for decorations...

Decorating Signs:Tying ribbons on 'Field Access Passes':Assembling Handouts:I had to wear my football gear for inspiration ;)Making pennants out of construction paper:We decided to practice some of our cheering skills - LOLUmm, we're not that good... :-)Ladies, this is not wrestling, it's football! lolSome of the cheer signs that the girls came up with & made:I made these iron-ons to put on red shirts for all of the leaders to wear at NB:After I ironed mine on, I used white fabric paint to make the words stand out:On the back of the shirts, we had our names & a number:I made a little iron-on for the sleeve of the t-shirt:Ready to go to NB:
Bonnie & I had whistles since we were running the program/game. I brought black eye paint to wear & have at the 'check-in' table for the girls to put on too (if they wanted to) to complete 'the look.' I hung my 'Field Pass'/lanyard from my belt.The back of my shirt:
I thought pig tails would be appropriate for the night.Time to decorate the gym:We had our 'concession stand' & water station with coolers:I took Angela's graphics & made a banner with them:Our Football Field:
I drew a football field on green butcher paper. This was our 'game board.' I had 2 cutout footballs (game pieces) that moved up & down the field, depending on if they got the question right or wrong. The game had 4 7min. quarters (our 'ref' was in charge of timing & blowing the whistle after each quarter.) We made sure we didn't run out of questions, so we had a lot. The game was our 'program' for the night. Whichever team had the most goals at the end 'won.'Our Scoreboard & Question Board:
There were 3 categories to choose from for questions..."Personal Progress", "FTSOY", & "Football Fight Songs" The 'fight' songs were fun, because they had to do with different upbeat hymns & primary songs.The podium:
The clipboard had all of the list of questions for the game.Hall of Fame Table:
We had a table in the back of the gym showcasing all of the YW who had already earned their YW Medallion. We had their picture & 'date of induction' (when they earned their medallion.) We also made a sign - "Future Hall of Famers" with a list of all of the other YW who hadn't earned their medallion yet. I made this cloth pennant with all of the different values on it to decorate the table. It has come in very handy for other activities too.We put value colored pom poms on the table for decoration:I used colored gift boxes/Chinese boxes & rafia for value sign decorations:Do the signs look like little stakes in the ground? Because that's what I made them to look like...Here are the handouts for the girls:The girls got the new PP book, a values bookmark, & a football mint:Here's the tag I came up with to go with this year's theme:Our Concession Stand:Sis. Bowman setting up the cake:
Don't drop it! Notice on the wall, the little megaphones? I made those out of different colored party hats! I just hot glued a white pipe cleaner on the side to look like a handle...The cake:
A little off center, but not bad...We got it at Target.We used football platters to hold the tortilla chips in (ignore the leftover cake):We served delicious nachos for refreshment! YUM!Check-in Table:
The girls picked up their Field Passes & Program here...plus they got their eye paint.Sis. Bowman's daughter helping with the check-in table:Here are the Field Passes I made:
I printed them off, laminated them, punched a hole in them & then had the YW attach a metal thingy & ribbon.Here are the ticket invitations that I got from Angela:
THANK YOU!I printed them off & had the girls glue them on red cardstock & cut out:
Here are the programs I got from Angela too.The inside of the program:
Cute right?The girls checking in:
We had downloaded a bunch of college fight songs & had them playing as the girls were coming in.Opening Song:
We had the speakers & bishopric present sit in camp chairs. We couldn't find a referee shirt, so we had a white t-shirt that we taped black stripes on for the bishopric (our bishop was out of town, so we had our 2nd counselor there.)Our 'crowd' & 'fans':We started off by introducing the different 'teams', 'coaches', & 'cheerleaders' (YW & leaders.) Then, we had the YW Pres. speak briefly about team work & practicing our values. Then, we went into our game. Bonnie & I had so much fun running the game, it was fast paced! We closed with a few remarks from the bishopric & then, we had refreshments.The night was so much FUN!! The other wards had their NB going on too & they said it sounded like we had a blast with all of the noise! Ooops...

23 comments:

  1. Hi,

    We are planning on doing this for our New Beginnings in January. I was doing a little research online and found your site. I like some of your ideas and I think that it turned out really cute.

    Do you have any templates for the VIP Passes, invitation-tickets, programs and even the cute t-shirts that you could email to me?

    Also, did you just do the value colors for the pendants and did you have anything written on them?

    Did you use the questions for the game that came from the original idea from sugardoodle?

    Thanks in advance for your help.

    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amanda, I will send you what I have if you give me your email.

    The pendants hanging from the stage were made by the girls, so I'm not sure what they put on the paper. We wanted the girls to help with decorations before hand, so we put them to work making things at a previous activity. The pendant banner hanging from the "Hall of Fame" table was one that I made. It was made from cloth (since I wanted to be able to use it over and over for other things) & it had the value name written on each color section.

    We came up with some of our own questions, which I will also send to you.

    Good luck, it was loads of fun! Just remember to be very "up beat" :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the information. Here is my email: leavitt10@aol.com.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mary I was wondering if you still had that information that you could send to me? If you would send it to: leavitt10@aol.com.
    Thanks, Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love the pdf's as well, if possible. Also, a copy of the jeopardy game?

    Thanks so much,
    Jen
    jen@smalltalkspeech.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Could I get a copy of the information too(and the game). It looks like such a fun night!
    My email address is brycelad@yahoo.com

    Thank you so much!
    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd love a copy of any of your information for this New
    Beginnings if possible. Looks like a really fun evening! My address is dwfillmore(at)gmail(dot)com. Thanks so much.
    Dianna

    ReplyDelete
  8. We are planning on doing this in about three weeks. Do you have the templates for the VIP Passes, invitation-tickets, programs and the t-shirts that you could email to me? Do you also have the questions for the game? my email address is utdawson@yahoo.com

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would love all the templates that you may still have. I was just called into YW and my first activity to plan is New Beginnings, which is February 12th. The girls are excited about this idea. Thanks for the help. My email is jonesamigos@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this idea!! Could you email me any templates you have & copies of the game? My email is weese.andrea@gmail.com. Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would also like a copy of the Jeopardy questions and whatever else you have. Thanks for sharing! tamlynn6385@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would also love any templates you are willing to share of the ticket invitations and programs. Thanks! Jennifer (skierjenn@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Do you still have the questions and the templates for the invitations and the programs? I would love a copy! Thanks for your help. Holly (hollymertlich@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Do you still have the files from the programs and logos? Angela didn't have the program! I would love to use it. Whatever you can send, Thx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Could I get the program and any other related files/templates you are willing to send?
    Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'd love copies of your files too...jeopardy, invites, anything else if you still have it. Thanks! klkgarner@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love this! I would also love any files of the program, invites, and jeopardy game that you have! Thank you!! cristygb@mail.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi, wondering if you still have the files for the jeopardy game. I would love if you could email them to me! Thanks!
    daina.armstrong@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi, wondering if you still have the files for the jeopardy game. I would love if you could email them to me! Thanks!
    daina.armstrong@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. If you still have the files for the invites and program will you email them to me? This is perfect for our super bowl NB! amy.strickling@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Such a fabulous idea! We would love any files that you still have. jacksonkatrina@me.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is DARLING!! I would love any templates you could send me as well. We are having New Beginnings in about two weeks and this would be so helpful. Thanks!
    melanieagordon@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hello! Not sure if you still get messages here, but I would love your graphics of the yw football shield and the game questions if possible? Thank you! beckst@runbox.com

    ReplyDelete